Thursday, January 19, 2006

Moma's Chow Mien

Tonight for dinner I made Mom's Chow Mien ~I am not sure the last time I made this meal, but I do know that it is what I made for the dinner party I threw myself for my 24th birthday party ~and yes I prefer to throw my own birthday parties, other people ruin them I find. So it may have been six and a half years since I have had this meal which is better than Whit who has never made it and so it is more likely to be 16 years since she has had and well that means it has been a lifetime for Mac, McGee & the Botts. This is one of my favorite recipes from my mother ~Why? Because it was her mother’s recipe and well we don't have a lot of my Grandma Deschamps recipes. You see my mother didn't learn to cook until she went away to school and well shortly there after her mother moved abroad so a lot of my mothers cooking base comes from roommates (thank Glenna for Chewies) and well my Dad's mom Granny who she lived with for a while and well who are we kidding Dad loves to have dinner his way.
So when ever I make Chow Mien instead of thinking of the most populated country in the world I think of one of the prettiest ladies I have ever had the opportunity to be hugged by. Grandma Deschamps had the most amazing hair when I was little, and beautiful hands that were always busy but beautifully kept, her outfits were just that outfits not something slapped together in a rush to get out the door and she had the most amazing collection of accessories that I have ever seen outside of a museum. I was deathly afraid of her and yet at the same time I knew to be near her was something special and amazing.
So if you have a hankering to get nearer to Grandma Deschamps run to the market and make this meal for dinner.

Chow Mien

2 Pork Chops trimmed and diced
1 Medium onion diced
3 Tbls Butter
3 Celery stalks diced
2 15oz Cans Chow Mien Vegetables drained and rinsed.
Flour, Water, Onion Powder, & Soy Sauce to taste.
In a large sauce pan add 2 Tbls butter, pork chops, and onion. Brown on medium high heat until the onions is translucent and the chops are just about to brown. Now add remaining Tbls butter and celery. When the butter has melted add enough flour to soak up all of the butter, so you have a nice paste covering all of the veggies and meat. Now you add the water I usually add around three cups but this meal can be watered down to feed a crowed or kept pretty think if you prefer. Now add the canned veggies and season with onion powder and soy sauce.
To serve you layer it on a plate with fried rice and chow mien noodles ~so you will also need the fried rice recipe.

Fried Rice

2 Cups Uncooked White rice cooked your favorite way
3 Strips of Bacon quarter inch slices
4 Green onions diced
1 egg
Onion Powder & Soy Sauce to taste.
In the largest frying pan you can get you hands on add bacon and let it cook until it is almost done.
Add COOKED white rice, & green onions. Now you cook stirring constantly and adding more onion powder than you can even imagine being a good idea along with a little soy sauce. ~remember to taste it constantly, you will know when you have added the right amount of onion powder because the rice will be a light tan color from the onion powder and it will have a rich onion taste to it that isn't overwhelming. When the rice is warm and seasoned to perfection squish it to one side of the pan and on the other side of the pan crack an egg and scramble it till it is just done then mix it into the fried rice.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Lucy van Pelt said...

Don't know why, but this totally made me laugh. Grandma really did have the best hair. The only issue I have is that the Chow Mein wasn't my favorite dish. And who are we kidding -- the most memorable meal Grandma Deschamps ever made with the Vita-Mix vegetable soup.

annzy said...

I really don't remember Grandma Deschamps ever making any meal out side of a well sliced grapefruit.