Monday, October 16, 2006

Bake into Fall...

So fall is in the air and well nothing makes you want to bake quite like crispness in morning and warmth in the afternoon that turns into a cool evening. I have been cooking and loving it. Last week my local siblings let me tag along to the pumpkin patch with the nieces and nephew to enjoy a hayride and pick a pumpkin anyone I wanted all I had to was carry it ~I was surprised how much this limited my selection I am weak sauce.
I thought it would be so lovely if after the pumpkin patch we all went to GrammyPops for soup and homemade rolls. My mother had other plans that day and I was left to enjoy the idea much to myself ~she said if I helped it could happen. Mom made the roll dough and I was in charge of proofing and shaping and starting out the soup that she would finish along with baking the rolls. I got to spend the whole afternoon watching reruns of West Wing off the DVR with a kitchen towel tied around my waist dicing and slicing away. If you are so lucky to find yourself doing the same here is the soup recipe.

Canadian Cheese Soup

1/2 cup Chopped Onions
1/4 cup Butter
1/4 cup Flour
1 1/2 Tlbs Cornstarch
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper (oh the whole blues clues family)
4 cups Milk ~heated
4 cups Chicken broth
1 cup diced carrots cooked and mashed to a pulp
1 cup diced celery cooked and mashed to a pulp
1 cup Sharp Cheddar grated
1/4 cup minced parsley

Sauté onion in butter until transparent, but not brown. Add flour, cornstarch, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook on low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add milk and chicken broth and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add carrots and celery to soup. Just before serving stir in shredded cheese and parsley. Enjoy ~this is any easy recipe to double to serve a crowd but be for warned as is the recipe serves 10.

4 comments:

Lucy van Pelt said...

Mmmm... baking and cooking!

I used up my last back of zucchini this weekend and am now out of the chocolate zucchine bread business for the year. I also made pumpkin cookies rolled in raw sugar. Yum!

I just love Autumn.

gamine said...

Yum Yum! Sounds so good. I am jealous of your life!

Lori said...

That sounds tasty. I have to make a soup for an Enrichment thing. Maybe I'll make this one. I love soup. It is good.

solidcommagirl said...

i've recently decided that the only way I am going to win my husband is by making those lovely rolls that you make. So I will be calling you very shortly for the recipe.