Sunday, December 30, 2007
Sunday, December 23, 2007
Friday, December 21, 2007
~funny side note about those snow days there was a huge term paper due in english just before the break and Tobias Reed got in trouble for turning it in late when his family returned from Christmas vacation a week into January. Mrs Yarnot thought he should have been more responsible and given it one of his fellow student to hand in for him.
Thursday, December 20, 2007
1 pound bacon
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
Cut chestnuts and bacon strips into thirds. (If some of the chestnuts are tiny just cut them in half). Wrap each piece of chestnut with a bacon piece and secure with a toothpick which goes through the water chestnut. Stand these in an 8x8 or 9x9 pan. Bake for 1 hour at 250°. Remove from oven and drain off as much of the grease as possible.
Mix the sugar and ketchup together and spoon over the bacon wrapped water chestnuts. Put back in 250° oven for 1 more hour. Serve hot.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
So shortly after thanksgiving we were in the bookstore and he bought me a snowman ring ~it was really cute and I wore it everyday on my ring finger ~when he gave it to me he called it a place holder. I being insane insisted that we give each other gifts "that showed our love" ~don't worry I won't puke on my computer but still to this day I hate that those words came out of my mouth. So with crazy schedules involving finals and separating for the holiday we decided to exchange gifts when we got back to school. I got him this dumb 12 days of Christmas thing I came up with. He got me several gift one of which I still use to this day. He handed me one gift then another ~one was one of those awful posters of the kids with the roses (I did not think that fit the rule.) The last gift he gave me was a little black velvet box ~just what I wanted, until I opened it. I was presented with a small crystal turtle in a ring box. I was told it was like our love slow and precious ~or I am not ready to propose but I will break up with you in six weeks just before valentines day.
I hold this memory dear because it was a lesson learned. I no longer come up with crazy expectations for the holidays. Holidays are what they are and I have learned that with this attitude they are almost always perfect ~at least in memory.
Monday, December 17, 2007
Sunday, December 16, 2007
Saturday, December 15, 2007
Friday, December 14, 2007
Growing up our big holiday meal was always eaten on Christmas Eve on the good dishes ~by candle light. I love how special I always felt at that meal, it's silly I know but I loved it.
Monday, December 10, 2007
Thursday, December 06, 2007
Monday, December 03, 2007
Friday, November 09, 2007
Of coarse the cake is yellow and let me just say the flowers were amazing every kind of yellow flower under the sun was in the arrangements is an amazing way with just the right accents of color.
The tables were of coarse decorated in yellow with amazing scherenschnitte designs and trifle bowls brimming with take home bags of yellow treats. ~I took home lemonheads.
Wednesday, November 07, 2007
Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Monday, November 05, 2007
I went to Denver. My friend Erin moved there this summer and well I find nothing really helps you settle into a city quite like playing tourist and well the best way to be a tourist is to have visitors. It was the least I could do for a friend. I have got to say that city made a great impression on me, the fall colors, the friendly people, the good food and well of coarse the crazy tourist things. The really crazy tourist thing we did really wasn't in Denver it was in Manitou Springs ~but it was only a quick day trip so it counts. If you are ever near Manitou Springs the weekend before Halloween do what ever you must but make it to the Emma Crawford Coffin Races. The parade with the hearse, the themed coffin racing teams, it is all not to be missed.
You might think that coffin races alone would make my weekend but when you are on a roll one should not stop. If you are in Denver near Halloween make sure you stop into the Molly Brown House for their Victorian Horror Story readings. Edgar was amazing and Nathaniel was captivating but nothing beat having to walk by the poorly lit room with all the china dolls looking at you ~ so creepy like child of glass creepy.
As I said the food was also good we tried Smashburger for dinner, Pete's Kitchen for breakfast and had dinner at Maggiano's ~are waiter was great and had all the right recommendations, lucky us.
I just have to say it was a great mini-break ~thanks Erin for hosting!
Sunday, November 04, 2007
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup finely shredded carrots
Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon & salt together. In a mixer beat sugar and eggs adding oil slowly. Add dry ingredients until blended. Mix in the remaining ingredients. Pour into a well greased 1 1/2 pound bread loaf ~leave at least an inch at the top of the pan. Bake at 350' for about 60 minutes ~you will know it is done when you can no longer hear the bubbles baking in it. ~do not put a toothpick in it, it will fall and make you sad.
When the bread is done and cooled it is time to make it into the french toast. For enough batter for three slices ~ take one egg add a pinch of salt and beat them then add about two tablespoons of milk and a two shakes of cinnamon. Soak the bread until it is good and saturated. Toast over medium heat until golden and lovely.
Serve with a crisp sweet apple slices ~syrup is a little much for the carrot bread. I hope you love it as much as I do~
Thursday, November 01, 2007
Not this year though~ work had a contest and part of the fun of being in HR is supporting all the fun so here is my best effort at joining the fun.
Monday, October 22, 2007
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
This weekend I will be making this for Saturday Brunch~
CARROT CAKE FRENCH TOAST
Fresh baked carrot cake dipped in cinnamon vanilla egg batter and grilled to golden brown. Served with a side of syrup and our original cream cheese-pecan syrup.
Oh my gosh I can't believe I have never thought of this ~or seen this. I have seen cinnamon rolls sliced in half for french toast and I have a recipe for creme brulee french toast I have been meaning to try.
Today DailyCandy was touting the lovelies of Austin and the South Congress Cafe with this on there menu was recommended and since I can't get to Austin this weekend I will have to make it instead.
I will promise to try to take a photo and let you know how it goes~
Sunday, October 07, 2007
Here's the thing though I like earrings and I am always looking for a great pair. So I found this store on etsy after I linked from a friend to a friend to a friend through blogs ~you have got to love where blogs can take you sometimes.
Here is the pair I got
~not quite what I ordered so she threw in an other pair for good measure...
These I love and I think they may be my new staple ~but I will have to try them out and see if the new me is more beatnik than than the old me.
Wednesday, October 03, 2007
I love this bat Erin made it our freshman year ~and I stole.
I collect nick-knacks ~but only for halloween so that makes it okay ~well mostly only for halloween which makes it mostly okay.
I also did a little something to welcome all my favorite ghouls ~so come by and I promise I will give you a treat ~if you think diet coke is a treat...
Friday, September 28, 2007
Dad ~ Anthony Hopkins, Meet Joe Black. I love him in this role plus he loves each of his kids in their own way, like my dad does. My dad doesn't love his kids, he loves Colin, Noelle, Jason, Whitney, Ann & Gage and I like it like that.
Mom ~ Dianne Wiest, Edward Scissorhands. She is great in this role, a little crazy a lot of love. Okay so here is the deal my mom is one sharp cookie but I am pretty sure she is a little crazy with a lot of LOVE.
Colin ~ Val Kilmer, Real Genius. How can you not love him in this movie plus he totally big brothers the new freshman. Okay this is so Colin he is smart and funny and the big brother.
Noelle ~ Bonnie Hunt, Return to Me. Hello great advice "don't shave your legs." Noelle because she is a big sister and is full of great advice ~just ask her. Plus she is always rooting for you and I love having my own personal cheer squad.
Jason ~ Matthew Broderick, Ferris Bueller's Day Off. One hell of a good time you will always remember. Okay so Jason has this smile that somehow makes everything seem like a good idea, which is perfect if he is your big brother.
Whitney ~ Emma Thompson, Sense & Sensibility . Head on shoulders watching out for everyone, check. Whit always seems to have it together and i love relying on her because of that (i know she has her moments when she doesn't have it together but that's what makes her cool and real.)
Gage ~ Matt Damon, Oceans Eleven. Talented but the little fish. Poor Gage, he is smart but because he grew up in a household full of smart and was the last one he doesn't get any credit for it ~but you have to love him for trying.
And me you say who would play me ~ Sandra Bullock, Practical Magic. Always wanting to fit in but never does. That's me, I don't fit in and sometimes I love it and other times I hate it and would do anything to be just like the other people in the room. ~At the same time though I rather stand alone and get to really be me.
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
So here is one of my favorite Fall recipes ~thank you Realsimple...
Place each chicken-breast half between 2 sheets of wax paper andpound with a meat mallet until about 3/4 inch thick.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sautethe chicken until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Add theapple slices, apple juice, onion, garlic, thyme, and salt. Coverand simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until the chicken is fork-tender.Remove the chicken, apple slices, and onion to a serving platterand keep warm.
Bring the sauce to a boil for about 5 minutes or until slightlyreduced. Whisk in the mustard. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Jean Eugene (or Jenny Reddie) shared this hilarious meme and I couldn’t help myself…
But be warned ~I totally cheated on some of these ~do you know which ones?
But be warned ~I totally cheated on some of these ~do you know which ones?
1. YOUR ROCK STAR NAME: (first pet & current car),
2.YOUR GANGSTA NAME: (fave ice cream flavor, favorite cookie),
3. YOUR “FLY Guy/Girl” NAME: (first initial of first name, first three letters of your last name),
4. YOUR DETECTIVE NAME: (favorite color, favorite animal),
5. YOUR SOAP OPERA NAME: (middle name, city where you were born),
Les Bois Brady ~I don’t have a middle name and I love that term for
6. YOUR STAR WARS NAME: (the first 3 letters of your last name, first 2 letters of your first),
7. SUPERHERO NAME: (”The” + 2nd favorite color, favorite drink),
The Green DC
8. NASCAR NAME: (the first names of your grandfathers),
9. STRIPPER NAME: ( the name of your favorite perfume/cologne/scent, favorite candy),
10.WITNESS PROTECTION NAME: (mother’s & father’s middle names ),
11. TV WEATHER ANCHOR NAME: (Your 5th grade teacher’s last name, a major city that starts with the same letter),
12. SPY NAME: (your favorite season/holiday, flower).
13. CARTOON NAME: (favorite fruit, article of clothing you’re wearing right now + “ie” or “y”)
14. HIPPY NAME: (What you ate for breakfast, your favorite tree),
15. YOUR ROCKSTAR TOUR NAME: (”The” + Your fave hobby/craft, fave weather element + “Tour”),
The Quilting Downpour Tour
Thursday, September 13, 2007
I met Bono~ the lead singer of U2 and I was a complete idiot to the point where I made my friend Amy ask him to take a picture with me. I have no idea where I have this photo saved but it's a little bit lame because Amy is in it with us. ~Also I never said a complete sentence in front of the man, ruining forever our chance to be BFF.
Saturday, September 01, 2007
Thursday, August 23, 2007
I was tagged by my lovely sister at The Doctor is In for this fun four meme. Here are my answers...
Four jobs I’ve had:
1. TCBY ~my first job
2. Bridal Gown Alterations ~I quit after two weeks I started to really hate weddings
3. Assistant Food Stylist ~ It included a week in the
4. Staff Assistant for a U.S. Senator in
Four places I have lived:
Four favorite T.V. Shows:
1. My Boys
2. Grey’s Anatomy
3. Men in Trees
4. Ugly Betty
Four favorite foods:
1. Bacon & Tomato Sandwiches
2. Mashed Potatoes
3. Re-run spaghetti ~the only way I like it
4. Pot Roast with Carrots & Potatoes
Four websites I visit:
1. My Daily Blog List +
2. My Credit Union
3. My e-mail account
4. Apple Trailer website
Four places I would rather be right now:
1. Home ~
2. Visiting Friends
4. In Bed
Four movies I love:
1. Dear Frankie
2. Bride & Prejudice
3. The Rainmaker
4. Ocean's Eleven ~So didn’t see that ending coming and I always see the ending coming
Friday, August 17, 2007
Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Why the carriage house?
Alright there are a lot of other great quirky things about my neighborhood and maybe I will get around to another walk and show them to you but these are a couple of the reasons why I love where I live.
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Then I sort made that argh noise to my self because who wants to be that person that is always excited about the next thing?
Friday, July 20, 2007
As you may remember I was so excited to get to have cable and dvr ~well you can imagine how annoyed I was that I couldn't figure out how to make it work. I was use to dish dvr and figured how hard could it be to figure out one for cable. I couldn't get it work. So finally contacted my cable company and after I talked to a second person she finally asked me about my cable box ~where we discovered I didn't have the dvr that I had ordered so no wonder it wasn't working. Last night I went and exchanged cable boxes and you will be glad to know I quickly figured out how to use the dvr. ~The girl at the office also gave me a users guide and there are all sorts of cool things I didn't know dvr could do but will soon have mastered.
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
~Aimes & Kay Dubbs miss my controlling remote habits no mater what they say ~you girls are welcome to come watch me flip through channels anytime.
Monday, July 02, 2007
Sunday, July 01, 2007
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Thursday, June 07, 2007
1. Gilmore Girls ended and now I am at a lost as to who I will be for pretend.
2. It was my birthday and I had five separate celebrations to attend, one of which I had to fly home for.
3. Work ~bluck.
4. Erin had to move away and I had to make sure she left because wherever she moves I somehow end up moving there too and well I thought this might be my big chance to get out of my blucky job.
5. I quit my blucky job. ~I didn't end up folwing Erin to Denver somehow I will now be in Provo a town I am all too familiar with.
6. I got a new job ~with a new dress code so I have been busy shopping.
7. I needed a pedicure.
Alright for the time being I am back and blogging again ~although I think it may be sporadically because until I can figure out how to get internet at my new digs I will be going into cyber hibernating for a little bit.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
Saturday, May 12, 2007
Wednesday, May 02, 2007
I am trying to grow it out so I can donate it a good cause ~not quite like Jo in little women or that one episode of Little House on the Prairie but all the same a worthy cause. ~It will now take several more months but the ends were just too disgusting to live with any longer.
Saturday, April 21, 2007
Lucy van Pelt tagged me for the obsession meme. I am supposed to list five things I am obsessed with right now. So here i go in no particular order...
- FABRIC ~I quilt and I sew and I am full of good intentions so I buy fabric to make about three times as many quilts and skirts as I actually finish. I currently have three large rubbermaid totes full of fabric, a large box, three joanns bags and a couple of piles of fabric at my moms house posing as her stash. I also have one quilt that I have been "working on" for seven years now that is currently all basted together and just waiting for me to do all the hand quilting on it. I am in the middle of two quilt tops too. I know I am sick but I was raised this way and I can't help it, plus I can point a finger at a lot of people who are worse than me.
- TARGET TEE ~I am currently living out of two suitcases that I carefully packed. Oddly enough in those two suitcases I have managed to fit 20 target tees ~I still have a large pile of them at home. Many of them are getting warn and need to be tossed but every season they change the colors just a little bit and if I throw out the one green that I love I can't just replace it with another. I do throw out the groddie white ones because I buy four new ones at the beginning of the season.
- DIET COKE ~I can discuss this drink like a oenophile will discuss wine. I know what restaurants serve coke products versus pepsi and I will hesitate dining at a pepsi restaurant. I know what service stations have the best mixes on tap. Don't even get me started on Sonic and happy hour. I try all of the crazy versions CocaCola comes out with that they slap that diet label on but I still prefer my DC. I like to drink it in a glass glass it has to be so cold it is almost frozen and it needs to come out of a can. When I worked for the US Senate I knew which vending machine had the coldest DC in it and would include it as part of my intern training. My favorite glass ever to drink my DC out of is a Tortilla Coast 2001 Inauguration glass that one of my interns stole from the restaurant for me. I get happy just thinking about it. I have thought about quiting but life is hard with out handy happiness.
- GAS MILEAGE ~I will tell you about the gas mileage my car gets any chance I get (last tank 34 miles to the gallon.) I don't let people put a couple of gallons of gas in my car when they borrow it because then I won't know what my gas mileage is. I love nothing more than pulling away from the pump and looking at my number. Once I got 28 miles to the gallon and was beside myself with greif and had to have a mechanic look at my car and tell me that it was okay. My best ever 4o ~I got it on a road trip caravaning with Grant ~he drives like a 80 year old woman, it was awesome to get that number but not worth driving that way. My car LOLA is one of my favorite things but what I love most about her is her gas mileage.
- MOVIE INSPIRED INFORMATION ~I like to go to the movies but I sometimes get crazy obsessed with the movies I see or movies that are coming out. Recently I saw Painted Veil. I read up on cholera for a week. When I heard about Marie Antoinette, the Blair Witch Project, I read up on everything posible about the production and totally knew all about the movie before they came out. Blair Witch had thee best movie websites ever! I like a good 90 minute adventure and the hours of joy it brings me.
Monday, April 16, 2007
In the mean time I have completed another quilt and thanks to my friend Erin the recipient of this quilt i actually have photos to share. If you visit Erin (or Lucy the older sister) you have already seen it so this post is soooo boring and two weeks ago.
Here are a couple of notes on the quilt though. It was inspired by Denyse Schmitdt's "Any Way You Slice It." I used eight deep olive greens with at least two star fabrics and eight tan creams with a couple of stars too. The boarder is Amy Butler's King Fern. I had it quilted at The Corn Wagon by Ramona, it is quilted in a pattern she calls "blooming roes with leaves." I chose a vintage blue by Moda for the stop boarder and binding to offset the green. I also had it quilted in that same blue to soften the sharp lines and add another dimension.
I truely enjoy Erin and her many talents and had a lot of fun sharing this one of mine with her.
Sunday, April 15, 2007
Zee the wee was very content just hold two eggs during the hunt even though he was encouraged by all to hunt for a few more...
Smilie was seeing if the dinosaur egg he found would actually make a dinosaur ~it did...
Whit and her girls model the easter skirts I made them to celebrate the holiday...
I love home ~I love ham and funeral potatoes and I love the fact that home is wherever my family is.
Monday, April 02, 2007
Remember when I couldn't decide which pair of shoes to get for my birthday ~well I didn't get either because they didn't have them in the neutral in my size when I went back. Guess what I found at the Ross last week for a quarter of the Nordies price. ~my birthday shoes just waiting there to cheer me up on a gloomy day.
I tell myself someday I will find the job I need at a company I love ~but until then I have my shoes to keep me happy~ and my friends of coarse shoes could never be as great as friends like you!
Friday, March 16, 2007
Along with the lovely weather I am having a lot of fun listening to a little gift got this week ~someone in an effort to look out for me gave me the entire play list for the second season of Grey's Anatomy. It's been a lot of fun trying to listen to all 145 songs. So along with all the sunshine going around I am enjoying my very own bit of Grey~
Friday, March 09, 2007
I love March and those fabulous cookies that come around just like crocus to let you know the sun is moving and there is always a new season to be had.
Sunday, February 18, 2007
So I am trying to learn how to knit ~it only took me three months to do my first solo project a scarf. Well I just finished up project #2 this month and got it delivered to the person it will fit the best. I used cheap yarn on this project in so when I didn't finish it wouldn't be a huge waste. I also got the pattern from a library book once again so it wouldn't be a huge investment and some ugly reminder sitting on my bookshelf let me know I failed.
I think it turned out alright ~the cheep yarn did give me fits and I am pretty sure I am banded from borrowing knitting books from the Boise Public Library from here on out because I had this book checked out for four months ~with all of the renewals I could do.
Pattern: Jacket with Seed Stitch Bands
Yarn: Lyon Brand Yarn "Micro Spun" Lilac
Needles: US 3 & US 2
I am so not a knitter just yet but this next project I think will make me one~
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Love, Mom &
~Dad forgot to sign it before he mailed it.
Thursday, February 01, 2007
I made this for Grant & Brit's wedding ~Brit is a real live photographer so the photos I got from her were a little awesome. ~Love makes everything a little awesome.
...and I just can't help myself but have you look at this and it's price tag ~not exactly what it cost me to make this little beauty.
Monday, January 29, 2007
The class was awesome, I haven't been cooking a lot lately because I am staying with friends right now. It was so great to be in the kitchen and using my knives again that I love so much ~I have the Wusthof Classics ~I have a 8" chefs knife but I covet the 10". Gretchen O'Connor that taught the class was a lot of fun she works at the Citris Grill ~she was a little nervous it was her first class although she does in home cooking lessons for people. Any ways because it was a knives skills class we did a lot of chopping ~I was of coarse a natural and asked if I had any previous training ~yes thanks to my mom and 4-H.
When the class was all said and done we had some Gazpacho, Peasant Soup, Black Bean & Corn Salsa, Jicama Coleslaw, Cucumber Coleslaw and Salmon to go with all of our soups and salads. I am going to pass along the Jicama Coleslaw recipe because it was so lovely with salmon you really must try it next time you get a chance. ~oh the best skill I learned in the class, when you scrap the food on your cutting board with your knife to repile it or to scrape it into the bowl, flip the knife over and use the back so you don't dull the blade.
1 Red Onion ~small diced
1 Large Jicama ~grated
1 Bunch Cilantro ~chopped
1 Red Pepper ~small diced
1 Green Pepper ~small diced
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
Zest from one Orange
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 Jalapeno ~minced (optional)
Place the grated jicama, diced vegetables, and chopped cilantro into a bowl; mix together. Add orange juice, zest, salt & pepper; let sit for 20 minutes. Toss again before service. Adjust Seasoning.
Monday, January 08, 2007
1. I biffed my last finals for both undergraduate and graduate school ~I slept through my last undergraduate final and had to beg the teacher for a re-do and broke the diskette my last graduate school final was on just before it was time to present ~there were five us who had a grade riding on this one and the teacher let me turn the presentation in a week late.
2. I have seen more than one boy naked when they thought i was asleep in their room and they could just sneak in for a change of clothing ~boys are dumb and i peek (don't tell my mom.)
3. My favoritest thing before I go to bed in the whole world is clean shaved legs on crisp clean sheets.
4. I love to iron and think rising steam is one of the nicest feelings on your skin.
5. I only sing in public because I think it is a commandment (D&C 25:12) and I am still a little bit afraid of God and my Father.
Now it is my turn to tag ~go ahead and make your list Aimes & Marce.