Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Ringing is only something I hear not wear...

This is a bit more embarrassing than the last entry about how I can ruin a holiday. I am sure you are wondering how anything can be worse than slitting tape ~thinking you will get engaged. When I was 20 and a junior in college and thought all the world was mine I was dating a boy I loved ~maybe the only boy that I have ever said that to and meant it.
So shortly after thanksgiving we were in the bookstore and he bought me a snowman ring ~it was really cute and I wore it everyday on my ring finger ~when he gave it to me he called it a place holder. I being insane insisted that we give each other gifts "that showed our love" ~don't worry I won't puke on my computer but still to this day I hate that those words came out of my mouth. So with crazy schedules involving finals and separating for the holiday we decided to exchange gifts when we got back to school. I got him this dumb 12 days of Christmas thing I came up with. He got me several gift one of which I still use to this day. He handed me one gift then another ~one was one of those awful posters of the kids with the roses (I did not think that fit the rule.) The last gift he gave me was a little black velvet box ~just what I wanted, until I opened it. I was presented with a small crystal turtle in a ring box. I was told it was like our love slow and precious ~or I am not ready to propose but I will break up with you in six weeks just before valentines day.
I hold this memory dear because it was a lesson learned. I no longer come up with crazy expectations for the holidays. Holidays are what they are and I have learned that with this attitude they are almost always perfect ~at least in memory.

5 comments:

PJMcD said...

That guy was obviously a total dork, and didn't deserve you anyway. If you're still mad about it I will hunt him down and bust his hind legs for ya.

On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me....Five bathtub rings...four crawling______,three french pens, two purple frogs and a pidgeon in a plum tree.

Erin said...

This is kind of depressing Ann. The way I see it, you totally dodged a bullet. Remember the poster??!? Yikes.

Rager said...

Didn't you get me a nice tie before my mission from returning that turtle? I still have the tie and quite like it.

annzy said...

Yes Rager ~your tie is from that turtle

Lori said...

How sad. A turtle? Slow and precious. Gay. In my opinion, that guy sucks. What a lame excuse. But you were 20. That's very young to know better. But those little kid posters are the worst. UGH. Seriously, you are lucky you didn't marry him. What if you had to hang that poster in your house for eternity to display your love? We'd all be suffering then.