Thursday, December 20, 2007

Six Geese a Lay’n and eggs mean baking

At our house growing up there was a whole array of baking that only occurred around the holidays and one of those things were water chestnuts in bacon. My mom would take this appetizers that took hours to make to at least two parties a season and if you were lucky enough to be standing right there when she was plating them she would give you one ~this means that every December I would eat two of these ~I was always right there. A couple of years ago I made these and sat down and ate as many as I wanted to ~I just had to get it out of my system. So if you are up for it and want something so lovely it deservers a snowy backdrop whip up a batch of these and be sure to share.

Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts.
1 can whole water chestnuts
1 pound bacon
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
Cut chestnuts and bacon strips into thirds. (If some of the chestnuts are tiny just cut them in half). Wrap each piece of chestnut with a bacon piece and secure with a toothpick which goes through the water chestnut. Stand these in an 8x8 or 9x9 pan. Bake for 1 hour at 250°. Remove from oven and drain off as much of the grease as possible.
Mix the sugar and ketchup together and spoon over the bacon wrapped water chestnuts. Put back in 250° oven for 1 more hour. Serve hot.

5 comments:

PJMcD said...

At my house we weren't so creative. We had bacon wrapped bacon. Yum Yum.



Six geeks a playin'.

jason said...

Make no mistake... these are the yum!
Who's making them for pre-Christmas-Eve-Dinner?
I'm game if nobody else signs up.

Lucy van Pelt said...

Argh! If they're pre-Christmas-Eve-Dinner, then there won't be any for me. I'm getting grumpy about this now. I needs me some bacon wrapped water chestnuts.

Penny Longstockings said...

These sound pretty famous and I've never even tried them. I guess this will be a very special christmas.

boisegrammy said...

OK - I already bought two cans of water chestnuts to make these for the family. I was requested to make them for a party we went to on Monday, and I thought the family deserved to have some just for them this year. I am way ahead of you. I will make them twice so that everyone gets some.