Friday, October 31, 2008

19 is where it is at...


So yesterday I went and spent about a half hour in line ~a small sacrifice so I can do one little thing that maters because, 19 matters.
The 19th Amendment... the right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex. Was ratified in August of 1920 a mere 72 years after the Seneca Falls Convention ~the beginning of the Woman's Suffrage movement.
So for Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucretia Mott who never got to vote and for my favorite future voters Mac, Magee, Bottsie & Fi I can spend the time to read my ballot, cast my vote and know that even though my voice is one tiny squeek in a great corus ~it is still heard.

8 comments:

Amy said...

I'm bummed that I won't get my "i voted" sticker this year since I voted via absentee ballot. Do you think they might send me one in the mail?

Hannah said...

I have some of those same thoughts/feelings about voting.

We went yesterday with the intent to vote early- oh my. The line was wrapped around the corner and all the way down the street. I could not believe it. So now I will just go Tuesday during a non-peak time with my girls.

Lucy van Pelt said...

You rock! I voted today and it felt awesome!

jason said...

Sometimes in life you want to run with the majority just so you can be part of a winning team. Other times it feels great to go with your heart, knowing that you won't win but that, at least, you'll have been true to yourself.
I know my political party will never be a major player but at least I do what I can to squeak for it.

boisegrammy said...

Our household voted last week and I proudly wore my "I voted" sticker. No lines when we went, but long lines now. I don't know how much of a squeak my vote will make (probably a pipsqueak) but at least I can complain if I don't like the way someone who supposedly represents me acts and votes.

Julia said...

You go girl! :)

Diana said...

good for you. I procrastinated and went today. I didn't have to wait at all.

Lori said...

i went VERY early this morning and it turned out to be too early. I had to leave and come back later!