Friday, November 13, 2009

10,000 Hours

My Mom is extremely helpful ~she can't help herself and it is appreciated. So I am grateful when she passes along talents or words of wisdom. This week she e-mailed me an essay she had come across in the Fall '09 Humanities at BYU it's called "The Entitlement of Easiness" by John R. Rosenberg. The really interesting part is this, described by neurologist Daniel Levitan:
In study after study, of composers, basketball players, fiction writers, ice-skaters, concert pianists, chess players, master criminals . . . this number comes up again and again. Ten thousand hours is equivalent to roughly three hours a day, or 20 hours a week, of practice over 10 years. . . . No one has yet found a case in which true world-class expertise was accomplished in less time. It seems that it takes the brain this long to assimilate all that it needs to know to achieve true mastery.
I can't help but wonder what I have spent that kind of time on, sleep, watching tv? I may be there with a couple of other things, sewing (although I am far from mastering it,) I think consistency must play some sort of roll.
It made me think of something else I have had rolling around in my head all month. How much I love my little brother ~which I know may seem odd but hear me out. The Rayger had a crummy month and it truly broke my heart to see him go through this. For the record it should be known that I hated him for so long ~he was a pest, he was a little brother. He didn't do anything extraordinarily awful outside of the realm of little brothers, he touched my stuff, I had to share a room, treats, tv time, the bench seat in the van, and my parents attention with him ~major annoyances like that. The reasons for hating him were nothing special and I have racked my brain and the reasons I love him are much the same, he shares my eclectic taste in music, food, driving, doing things our way (the right way,) he loves home too (who couldn't,) and he lets me mess with his squishy ears even though it makes him crazy ~nothing earth shattering.
So when mom sent that article and it talked about those 10,000 hours I can't help but think time was what it was about. All those dinners we ate together, family nights we complained about, movies watched, the road trips we fought on, all of that time I resisted and thought was wasted made all of the difference and I am so grateful.
So thanks mom I am grateful for the article and more importantly I appreciate the time you sacrificed making me hang out with the family so I could love them so much more than I ever thought was possible.

5 comments:

Kara said...

Great post, Ann.

I love the inspiration that comes from my friend's blogs around Thanksgiving!

Lucy van Pelt said...

This has given me food for thought as well. I think parenting takes more than 1,000 hours and ours did a great job. I love my siblings because of that time invested, too. Last Sunday, in sacrament meeting, one of the speakers talked about how thankful he was that his mom had him do chores as a kid, and that it took his mom twice as much time to help him do the work as it would have taken for her to do it herself. All that time is really precious.

boisegrammy said...

I know I probably don't deserve the children that I was given but I am so thankful for all of them. They have taught me many things but the greatest of them all is how to love.

Jam said...

Well said Ann! Thanks for sharing...it makes total sense!

Robyn said...

Have you read Outliers? I think it mentions the whole 10,000 hrs theory. And about parenting, I'm sure I've put in my hours but man, I still suck! Guess it breaks the law of statistics or something. Anyway...