Saturday, January 02, 2010

a new decade you have got to be kidding me...

Okay in all honesty the last couple of weeks when the radio or internet was talking about something or other of the last decade I thought they were mistaken. I can't believe it has been ten years since Y2K ~oh i loved Y2K. I rang the new year in that year down on the nations mall with some random friends I couldn't name beyond my roommate Becky if my life depended on it.
I can tell you this though~ If you had told me what the next ten years would bring I would have laid down and let the crowd trample me to death. So what have I learned in the last ten year ~you can live through things you never wanted to, you are often more prepared than you think for life's challenges and yes you are stronger and smarter in your thirties than you twenties, but with that come more cynicism and fiercer independence, life is full of opportunities and failures. Ten years ago what mattered to me most is gone and I am grateful that what matters most to me now is much more real.
I can't even let myself ponder about what the next ten years might bring for fear that I will wonder into the mountains and let myself freeze to death before I even think about facing it. I will remind myself that ~I can live through things I never wanted to, I am often more prepared than I think I am, I have so much more to learn and strength to gain, cynicism to loose and independence to shed, opportunities to embrace and failures to learn from and most of all one thing that makes it all worthwhile ~love to give.

7 comments:

Orange said...

Whoa, I didn't really think about this being a new decade (that's what happens when you don't listen to the radio or watch TV) It makes my head spin thinking about where I was 10 years ago vs. now.

As for you, I am glad you have so much to give- and I know you have brought a lot of happiness to people in the past decade :)

Lucy van Pelt said...

Rock on, sista! It's a good thing we don't know what we're getting into when we do it, or we'd never have any of the great adventures with the stories to tell. Here's to another decade of living, learning, and loving!

Erin said...

Reading this made me laugh, nod in agreement, want to cry, and feel inspired. Here is what I think, a new decade...unlimited possibilities, with no mistakes in it. Stuff is going to happen. Here is to hoping the stuff is awesome.

Amy said...

what ever life brings it will be great, you will make it great, and we will all be grateful for it. happy 2010 - i'm so excited for what it has in store for you! (and me, and the world)

Jennifer said...

Yeah, I don't know that any of us would sign up for the next 10 if we actually knew all the details. Good thing it's a surprise. And don't forget the love that's coming back atcha either. Because we love love loves our Annzy.

Diana said...

You crack me up Anne but I love what you are saying in this post. I don't know if many people can say they are prepared for lives challenges, good for you!

Lori said...

I hear you on that! I'm definitely glad I didn't know how the last 10 years would be or I would've never signed up. But it always sounds worse than it is doesn't it? And you can't capture the details that make everything worthwhile that happen between all the crappy things.