Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunday in the sun...

I am currently on my computer checking my e-mails and finishing up some Sunday business before I head into the week and I have currently playing on my itunes my "classical" mix which really should be categorized as orchestral ~some of it is isn't very classic but it is all orchestral. I love listening to classical music on Sundays it is an odd habit that my dad lovingly bestowed upon us children. "Sundays are for classical music" and that is what played on the stereo system in the house on Sunday ~mainly it was Minnesota Public Radio Sunday Music Concert Hall and sometimes it was an album. I have a love of orchestral music ~something I thought all people had until I was 17 when I was totally gobsmacked to find out my friend Joel thought it was total rubbish and never listened to it ~my response was "What do you listen to on Sunday?"
I can't name a single composer listening to their work outside of Aaron Copland my favorite ~I know I really enjoy Russian composers. I miss not going to the symphony every month like I did all through High School ~it was where I volunteered to have perfectly lovely college applications. And just like my sister Noellie I miss that sunny spot on the carpet that had its own smell and was lovely and warm where the sun shone down on it every Sunday afternoon where you would read the funnies and listen to classical music because that's what Sundays were for.

7 comments:

Marcilyn said...

i also love classical music on Sunday. my favorite thing to do is listen on the internet to Classic FM in London. They play only the good ones.

Lucy van Pelt said...

Our classical station here doesn't float my boat, so I'm relegated to CDs on Sundays. Oh, how I miss the sunny spot though. I hope Jason enjoys it.

Orange said...

We had that growing up, too, so I don't think it's all that unusual- or maybe our families are both unusual.

I really need to make it more of a habit for my kids- mostly I just forget to ever put on music at all, but they do go to sleep to classical every night.

Kara said...

I like listening to it when I am at work, especially when I need to write something important. It helps me escape and focus at the same time.

jason said...

Hmmm, I need to go lay in the sunny spot. It's still there and you're welcome to come enjoy it anytime :)

Ingrid said...

No way! I had a sunny spot on the floor and would listen to whatever symphony my dad decided to play on Sundays while I laid there, watching him kicked back in his swivel chair, with his eyes closed, and an imaginary conductor's wand in his hand, directing the orchestra. What does the rest of the world listen to on Sundays? KOSY 106.5?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.